Learning Challenge: Mindfulness and Meditation


I have been doing quite a bit of considering the Mindfulness and Meditation. I started by reading, “Mindfulness in Plain English” by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana and this was an eye opener for me. I am not a Buddhist, but I can see the wisdom in approaching life from the proper perspective for limiting unneeded or futile fears. I took a stress management class many years ago, and this was strictly to relax an anxiety stricken student. Mindfulness and Meditation has proven to be rather interesting as it is a whole other dimension. You are supposed to take your mind and be completely still, silent and think nothing. Inevitably this state is extremely difficult to maintain for any truly substation amount of time. As the thoughts come to your mind, you are to observe them without judgment and let them float by. The idea is that you are on the bottom of the pool and your ideas are like bubbles and you just watch them as they float to the surface of the water. I have been able to manage this for about 15-30minutes before I feel like I need to get up and run around the block or fall straight to sleep. There is a bunch more to this but so far, this is what I’ve tried.



by: Martin Str

Comments