Story Planning Week 6 Mahabharata

I was planning on using the story planning method this week for Mahabharata. This story was a bit more challenging for me than the Ramayana. There are so many moving parts I catch myself going in too many directions to make sense. So this week I think I will single out the part of the story that I wish to target and try to retell it in a fresh somewhat original way. I am already writing the story but I don’t like the way its shaping so I thought a planning phase might be more beneficial.

I watched a few movies about the subject as well so I hope the versions don’t clash. I suppose it does not really matter since the story is supposed to be mine at the end. Some ideas about stories that can be elaborated on or manipulated in some way are listed below:

The divine birth of the children. I thought it was interesting that all these babies were being called down due to the mantra. There also appeared to be very little to stop the women from calling down more kids latter. The goddess being willing to stay with a man and bear his children then taking them to the river to send them back to 




The seemingly unending battle that drug on trying to show the love or at least the respect for his grandfather and then the woman who swore her revenge on Bhishma. She is so pious that a god grants her the ability to kill Bhishma the next life, so she kills herself to speed up the process. I have been wanting to modernize the characters but not too soon. Maybe the roaring 20’s. I keep picturing mobsters and that cool morality the underworld enjoys but its harsh and sort of romantic. That is how I viewed this story. Seriously? He laid on a bed of nails for days and still gave great lessons in morality etc… I am also considering the diary method.

Bibliography: 

1) The public domain of the Mahabharata
2) Youtube Mahabharata Animation for children by Geethanjali- Cartoons for Kids

Comments

  1. Hey Ryan! It's good that you're planning out your story this week. I did this as well for the first time last week, I believe! The Mahabhrata was difficult for me to understand too because of the different story lines. I thought that the story of King Shantanu and Ganga was really interesting and really easy to write about - and so did a lot of our classmates! I noticed a common theme of everyone being quite interested in a mother throwing her children in the river. Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ryan.

    I agree that the Mahabharata is a bit more challenging to understand than the Ramayana, but it’s still just as interesting and different. I was also interested in reading about why babies were being drowned by their mother. It was an interesting read, and took me a while to understand the reasoning behind something so cruel. I think planning is a good idea before jumping into something so intense. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mahabharata was definitely more difficult for me to keep up with than the Ramayana was. I think part of it was just keeping straight all the different characters and the relationships between them. Thank gosh for the Wikipedia links in the PDE version of the story.

    As for your story planning, it looks like you’re in good shape whichever route you decide to take, but I was especially excited to see your idea about translating the story to a mobster setting. Probably I’m biased, because I find stories about the criminal underworld really fascinating, but it sounds like modernizing the characters to a Mafia-like story would work really well and also give the tale a fresh edge. Either way, good luck with it, and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story plan was very organized and well thought out. I also had a hard time understanding everything that was going on in the Mahabharata, but the epified videos are really helping me. I read the story that resulted from this planning post and it turned out really good! I am glad you chose to focus on a small part of the story that you understood rather than getting confused!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment