"Storybook Favorites"



I chose, "A Karmic Hero". Though the topic is somewhat new to me, I have had a little exposure to Hindu religious texts by way of my own study via the internet, but these were very informal and of questionable veracity. That is one of the reasons I chose this story. The Introduction is fantastic because it was very short and enticing. It was stylistically interesting due to the shortness, and it presents itself as a choose your own adventure. The beginning of the story was well written, and I was hooked immediately due to the vivid description of the area surrounding our hero. It had a very interesting feel because it immediately asks for your name and gender without disrupting the story too much then, refers to you by name for the remainder of the story.

                                                                     The endless Knot
                                                                         Web Source

The next story was, "Karma: It's Not Just for Breakfast Anymore." Karma is a topic that I have always intended on researching. I believe it is a more complicated topic than the context for which it generally gets used. So this naturally drew me into it. Though this intro quickly showed me that this may not be the story that unleashes that mystery to me as of yet, I was quickly drawn into the story by way of the smooth writing style of this author. Very well written, the plot quickly had my mind going in several directions before the end of the first paragraph. There were several quick but potent graphical memes that had my interest peaked. Also, the intro brought many themes into the story allowing me to start exploring possible outcomes before we began. 



My final choice of three took on an interesting shape. I was struck by the title, "Nighttime Nagas". At first glance, I was immediately thinking about the name Nagas to mean giant snake or something like that. I think I picked that up from a “Harry Potter” book. I was on the right track because these Nagas are a snake people. I was hooked the second I saw the picture of the ancient statue picture of a Naga confirming my Theory. I believe people generally write about things they know about, so I thought this story might expose me to new ideas about the myth mixed with a little fact. I was not disappointed, the story starts to unfold by taking us through, what seems to be, an ancient story written with a modern edge perhaps a little creative freedom has allowed the writer to adjust the story to make it more interesting. We seem to be touching on several myths and a sub-story created by the author. I like it. 


A Statue of a Nagas


                                                                 

Comments