Reading Notes: Sita Sings the Blues, All Parts

Writing notes for all of the video “Sita Sings the Blues”.
I love the idea of modernizing the book to something that we can all relate to. The idea that we can use songs from a totally different time from both when the story was written and from today is a fantastic idea that would never have crossed my mind. There was a song after the intermission, which by the way was another fantastic dimension to add to the story, we suddenly remember that we are watching the YouTube video. One could create a story line completely separate from this line and use it to tell another story adding complexity to the story. I love this plan. In this story, there appeared to be at least three stories being told and they were all related. I also notice the writer appears to be gifting us a part of her personal life. We see her getting dumped at the same time that Sita is being dumped. What a great way to get people to relate to your story. There were a few jabs of humor seemingly being pushed at Rama for dumping Sita in a such a seemingly cold manner that was hilarious to me, I loved the two boys singing about Rama in a very monotone sort of humorous way.



Sita is deemed unfit to be with Rama
by:  Nina Paley



In a way, the writer has reached out and told us that she feels like Sita, or at least knows how it feels to be rejected much like Sita. I thought about my favorite super hero. Well super-Villain, crazy dead pool. Perhaps I could have one of them break the forth wall? I also see how the story always follows the same vein, but what if I took it down an different path and have Rama get killed. I like unexpected.

Autobiography : Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley

Comments